THE GIFT OF PROPHESY
Written by Marian Fitz-Gibbon
“The one who prophesies speaks to men for their building and constructive spiritual progress and encouragement and ….”
Ephesians:4.11-13 “And His gifts He himself appointed and gave men to us, some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and some teachers. His intention was the perfecting and the full equipping of the saints that they should do the work of the ministering toward building up Christ’s body. That it might develop until we all attain oneness in the faith and in the comprehension of the knowledge of the ‘son of God that we might arrive at really mature manhood, the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ and the completeness found in Him.”
Leave correction to the elders
2. This is a divinely inspired word in a known language.
The speaking forth of the mind and counsel of God.
3. John 10.3-5 “The watchman opens the door for this man, and the sheep listen to his voice and heed it, and he calls his own sheep by name and brings them out” The language the Lord speaks is often the heart language of a person so there is a resonance. Engineer, Dr, Teacher, Mother, etc
4. This declaration cannot be known by natural means
5. It tells of God’s will regarding the past (possible captivity), the present and or the future.
6. The prophesy will testify to the presence of Jesus in our midst
7. 1 Cor l4. 24-25 “ But if all prophesy and an unbeliever or untaught outsider comes in, he is convicted of his sin by the Holy Spirit and convinced by all, and his defects and needs are examined. The secrets of his heart are laid bare and so falling on his face he will worship God, declaring that God is among you in very truth
Heb 4.12 “For the word that God speaks is alive and full of power , operative, energising, and effective it is sharper than any two edged sword, penetrating to the diving of the line of the breath of life and the spirit and of joints and marrow exposing and sifting and analysing purposes of the heart.”
3 HOW THE GIFT OPERATES / KEYS
1. Be a believer and filled with the Holy Spirit
2. Through prayer, a good knowledge of the word of God is most helpful
3. Believe (Mark 11.24) – “There I say to unto you, what things you so desire when you pray, believe you receive and you shall have them.”
4. Be not ignorant – have knowledge of the gifts (l Cor 12.1) – “Now about the spiritual gifts, brethren I do not want you to be misinformed.”
5. Desire them and covet them(l Cor l2.31.) – “But earnestly desire and cultivate the greatest best gifts and graces. And yet I will show you a still more excellent way, love.” – Love for God’s people – once
You were in great need of God’s love too – it’s not about power(1Cor 14.l. 14.39)
6. Be bold to step out (Acts 4.13) – “Now when they saw the boldness and eloquence of Peter and John and perceived that they were unlearned in the schools, they marvelled and they recognised that they had been with Jesus.” – You have no need of fine academic skill, but a good knowledge of the Word of God is most helpful.
7. Hunger and wishto operate in the gifts (lCor l4.5) – “Now I wish that you might all speak in tongues, but more especially I want you to prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than he who speaks in tongues, unless he should interpret, so that the church may be edified.”
8. Be zealous and eager for the gifts ( l Cor l4.2) – “For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God, for no one understands his meaning, because in the spirit he utters secret truths.”
9. Seek and follow after the gifts (l Cor l4.12) “Follow after charity and desire spiritual gifts but rather that you may prophesy.” – Hang around folk who build others not those who criticise.
10. Make a decision for the gifts and set my will on them ( l Cor l4.l5) – “Then what am I to do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind and understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will sing with my mind and understanding also.”
11. Be thankful and grateful for the gifts
12. We must allow the gifts to operate (l Cor l4.29) – “ Let two or three prophets speak while the rest pay attention and discern/test what is said.” – Safety in numbers – no lone rangers
Preaching – Highlighting a specific time Gods intention to bring change individually or group
Dance, Sign And Drama – films, plays, weather, people, announcements publically,
Declaration In Banners & Flags – Write the Vision down and make it plain – books, newspapers
Prophetically Praying – targeted praying. Taking scripture or a prophesy and praying the solution rather than the problem
Others are praying over you listen to what they are saying
Prophetic Counselling – this saves time – the leading of the Lord
Poetry – song of Solomon
Art – painting, sculpture
Literature, Narrative – books –
Journals Of Theology
Pain – Paul Thorn in his side
Circumstances – Job
The level of prophesy is based on the following:
By utterance The Spirit Speaking Acts 8.29 – “Then the Holy Spirit said to Philip, go forward and join yourself to the chariot.”
l John 2.20 – “But you have been appointed by the Holy One, and you know the truth.”
Rom 8.l6 – “And the Spirit himself testifies together with our own spirit that we are children of God.”
John the Baptist – island of Patmos – book of Revelation
1 Thes 5.21
Math 7.20“Therefore, you will fully know them their fruits.”
1 Tim 4, 14, 15 “ Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by the prophecy, with the laying on of hands of the presbytery. Meditate upon these things, give thyself wholly to them that thy profiting may appear to all”
Hab 2.2 Write the vision down make it plane
1 Thes 5.20 , 21
Do not despise the gifts. But test and prove the prophesy.
Rom 8. 16 “ The Spirit itself bears witness with our spirit
You must be able to discern between our human soul, ad our own spirit and the Spirit of God.
Flesh – senses includes our feelings, emotion, reasoning, desires
Spirit – Devine love, and faith operates
Prov 3, 5, 6 “ Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to thy own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct your paths
Heb 11.6 “ Without faith it is impossible to please God.
Rom 10.17 Faith comes by hearing –
If the message is taped – then listen carefully to the words used and often
James 1.22 “ Be doers of the word and not just hearers, deceiving yourself.
James 4.17 Therefore to him that knows to do good and does not do it, to him it
Heb 6.12 It takes patience to inherit the promises of God.
Do not grow weary of well doing, for in due season you will reap your reward.
Prophesies are like precious pearls – do not cast them before swine.
God is never in a hurry – only the devil will try to hurry you.
Read the accounts of Joseph (17 years for fulfilment) Gen. 37 – 42
Abraham Gen. 15.4/ 16.2 Lack of patience produces Ishmael.
James 1.21 Receive with meekness the engrafted word
Be wise and pray for wisdom on how to respond to the word of God spoken to you.
1 Tim 1. 18 “ This charge I commit unto thee Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that through by them might wage a good warfare”
Build yourself up in your most holy faith, praying always rising higher and higher like an edifice – Jude
1 Sam 16 Daniel – prayed over by Samuel and was anointed to be King. No timing or how was said to him – so he went back to tend the Sheep – singing praying etc. – He was in this early teens.
Do nothing major different until we are definitely directed
Confirmed out of the mouth of 2 or 3 witnesses.
Record the prophesy
Write it out – open in a file on the computer
The name – yours and speakers
Divide it into minor, major prophecie